Friday, March 25, 2011

Cue

Saturday, March 19, after doing some light yardwork after sunset, I decided to take a shower.  I washed my hair last, because that is just the way it is done, and looked down at the drain.   A handful of my hair lay upon the drain.  Malena  told me that my new nickname will be ‘Cue’.   I hope that she means Cueball, and not cuecard, or q-tip.   That would be awkward.
This is no big deal to me, just an annoyance in my battle.   My hair loss may be frightening to others though, as I just do not have a head made for baldness.   To compare, I have some of the greatest bald heads in movie history:
Yul Brynner, image from The King and I (why is your head higher than mine?):
image
Telly Savalas of Kojak fame (Who loves ya, baby!):
image
Patrick Stewart of Star Trek The Next Generation (Make it so!):
image
Unfortunately, my noggin is more closely shaped to Worf:
image
Although our hue is different, the skull structure is quite similar.
Seriously though, this is not a big deal for me.   It is a HUGE deal for others that go through this, especially women.    Fortunately, there is something you may be able to do to help, and it is painless to you and your bank account.    Get a haircut.   If you can do without at least 7 or 8 inches of hair, you can donate it to be made into wigs for chemo patients (PS – your hair will grow back!).
Here are a few places where you can look into these programs:
Locks of Love
Wigs for Kids
Pantene
and a google search:
Google

Yesterday, I did my second of four rounds of chemo.    I was able to take the medicines as fast as they could administer them, which is very good.  There were two nurses in the room, wearing their blue nitrile gloves and attending to the patients.   So there they were, two by two, hands of blue, administering life saving medications.   They are wonderful people.   I noticed when I left that I was substantially more tired than after the first treatment.   It may be due to the lack of good sleep over the past few days, but it is something that we will watch.    I didn’t sleep at all last night, even with the help of Atavan, so Malena and I decided that we would work from home.   I really didn’t trust myself to drive.    I did go over to the Bruno Cancer Center at 1:00 to get my follow up shot of Neulasta, but it was a quick trip and I felt a bit more together.  
This is a race, and I am in the lead.   Cancer will lose.

5 comments:

  1. Please do post pics of that noggin. Can't sign in. This is Phillip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you crack me up! I was literally laughing out loud as I read this post. While I'm not sure your head looks like that of Worf but I totally agree with you about one thing . . . you will win . . . cancer will lose!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, I liked the hat you had on the other day at lunch. You are a trend setter.

    -Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Mike. You worked in two Star Trek and one Firefly reference. If you had somehow fit Dr. Who in there I would have exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike! We hope and pray that all is still going well in the chemo dept. I thought of 3 more men that are bald: Phil Collins, Michael Stykes (REM), and Jim Cantore. My young cousin has decided to go bald as well...so I guess you could say that "bald is beautiful". We send our love and prayers!!! Libby and the Boys

    ReplyDelete

Comments must be family friendly, and positive! Anything other than that is subject to deletion by the comment ninjas.