Sunday, May 15, 2011

Another hospital visit

I was not feeling well Tuesday around lunchtime, so I decided to take a nap.   I felt much better afterwards, but decided to take my temperature anyway.  102.6.   Great.    I called Malena at work and told her the news.   She came home and took me to the ER.      When we got to the examination room, my temperature was normal.   The nurse took some blood, and a chest x-ray was taken to make sure my pneumonia was under control.    After hours and hours of waiting, I started to feel warm, so Malena took my temperature again.   102.1.   Right on cue, the doctor comes into to examination room and tells us that we are free to go, nothing is wrong.   Malena convinces him to take my temperature again, and I end up admitted to the hospital, back to the oncology floor, two doors down from my last visit.   All the nurses were glad to see me back, and had a needle party where I think every one of them jabbed me with something, either taking blood or adding chemicals.   At one point my oxygen level got low, so I had to wear the oxygen nose tube/torture device.   Fortunately, I was able to prove that my oxygen levels were fine a few hours later, so I did not have to continue being tortured.   My Oncologist kept me for two nights trying to determine if the antibiotics that I was taking for the pneumonia were causing the fever.   I don’t think that she ever really determined that, but decided that she could not be sure that my chemo did not cause the pneumonia in the first place.   The cytoxan (the C in R-CHOP) has been known to cause pneumonia in rare cases, and she decided that since I was hospitalized twice in two weeks that she was not willing to take the risk of damaging my lungs.   So my last chemo is cancelled.   This will decrease my chances of being cured, but by how much is unknown.   Since I was Stage I,  and the bad lymph node was cut out, I think that I will be OK.  It is out of my hands anyway, so no sense worrying about it.   Radiation simulation is back on for May 19.  

I’m feeling better every day, and I haven’t felt this strong in quite some time.   I’ll be glad when I get to do some things around the house again like cut grass, and whack down some huge weeds that have grown.  I will ask my Oncologist on Thursday when I will be cleared to do these things again.  

I’m looking forward to whacking some weeds.   On to the next phase of the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments must be family friendly, and positive! Anything other than that is subject to deletion by the comment ninjas.